Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Election day in Hollywood is a unique place to be to say the least. The entire town has been buzzing about this day for the past two years. The activist actors have done their part to get out the vote and it seems to have worked. At least for Hollywood residents. More than a few times today, did I hear someone say that they voted for the first time ever. I'm proud of them, but most are older than I am and I can't help but wonder, will they vote next time.
There were three elections this year alone, and there will be one again in March and I hope people continue their civic duty and let their voice be heard.
I was in DC in March right after the California primary and I found myself in the center of the political world. There are bars where the TV sets are tuned to CNN 24/7. Political bars rather than sports bars and I couldn't help get caught up in the Obama/Clinton campaigning while there even though I'd already cast my ballot for the primary. Today, even Barney's Beanery will have their big screen tuned into election coverage rather than the Rockets vs Celtics. To be honest, I'd prefer to watch a little basketball after years of campaigning. I'm sure someone will text me the results of the election. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited for tonight. After two disappointing Presidential Elections, I can't wait for Obama to give his acceptance speech and I guarantee it will be a doozy. Eight years ago, I stayed up all night watching coverage as the world found out Gore maybe lost? It turns out he did. Not the popular vote though, but I'm one of those who feels rules are there for a reason. We have an electoral college so that California, Texas and NY can't elect the next President of the US, but rather every state has a voice. The Gore campaign had a poor strategy in the end and it just shows his team might not be able to navigate the strategical voting waters of congress.
Unfortunately, four years ago the democratic party ran a candidate that was neither a leader nor a radical. He did little to energize the party and I was ready to vote for another candidate until he selected John Edwards as his running mate.
But back to Hollywood. It is hard to find an executives office without a TV and today they will all be tuned in to see who wins. That's the case here in the office next to my cubicle. I'm all set with my free Starbucks, Krispy Kreme and Coldstone ice cream to watch hours of news coverage about long lines and voting machine malfunctions. I can't wait.
As for me, I voted this morning. Living in the suburbs, there are no lines. There are no lines in the Suburbs. Not for voting, or for clubs, but there's not much else good out there.

No comments: